Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Yale Educator-Artist Keeps Inspiring Future Generations of Theater Designers
- Connecticut’s Changing, Sometimes Volatile, Still Lively Classical Music Scene
- JFK Conspiracy Theories: American As Apple Pie
- Fast Food Workers Strike; 13 Arrested in Hartford
- Bridgeport Bluefish Ballplayer to Retire After 20-Year Career
Fri February 21, 2014
Team USA's Mikaela Shiffrin Wins Skiing Gold
Originally published on Mon February 24, 2014 6:06 am
She's the youngest ever winner, male or female, of an Olympic slalom gold medal, The Associated Press says. The previous holder of that honor: "Paoletta Magoni of Italy, who won gold at the 1984 Sarajevo Games when she was 19."
Friday's slalom silver medal in Sochi went to Marlies Schild of Austria. Third place, and the bronze medal, went to Kathrin Zettel of Austria.
As NPR's Robert Smith said earlier today on Morning Edition, "when Shiffrin skis the slalom, it's like watching a tango dancer." Her upper body barely moves, while her legs "smoothly shoot out to the side" and around the gates.