Donald Glover can do anything. He's an actor and a comedian, he's a singer and a songwriter, he's a rapper and a DJ. Mainstream audiences know him from Community and maybe the FX series he created, Atlanta. Nerdy audiences know him as the voice of Spider-Man, and they're about to know him as a young Lando Calrissian.
But Glover's music -- he sings and raps as Childish Gambino and DJs as mcDJ -- has never quite punched through into the wider popular consciousness, despite some chart success. Until this week, maybe. The new Childish Gambino video, "This Is America," which dropped last Saturday in concert with Glover's hosting Saturday Night Live, has just about 75 million views on YouTube. It is "a milestone" and "a media phenomenon," and it has finally made Glover "a superstar."
Other possible topics include:
- He Makes a Joke. She Isn't Laughing: 'Lingerie' Comment in Elevator Leads to Uproar Among Scholars.
- Black student reported to YPD for napping in dormitory common room
- Dr Dre loses trademark case to Dr Drai
- Spotify Pulls R. Kelly and XXXTentacion From Playlists, Stirring a Debate
- Lewinsky gets apology after event snub
Check out Brett Bender's Target Series at Bbender27arts.com, as per Binnie Klein’s recommendation.
- Binnie Klein - Psychotherapist, author, and radio host on WPKN
- Mercy Quaye - Founder and executive director of The Narrative Project
- Pedro Soto - Account executive at DRT Power Systems in New Haven
Colin McEnroe contributed to this show.