State lawmakers are up against deadlines this week to settle on a budget plan — one that tackles a nearly two billion dollar deficit next year. But so far all we’ve seen is a logjam in Hartford.
This hour, we find out what gridlock at the capitol could mean for the state’s future.
Connecticut Mirror state budget reporter Keith Phaneuf will walk us through the latest developments at the capitol and we hear from lawmakers on both sides of the aisle.
And later, we look across the border to other states dealing with major fiscal issues. How does Connecticut compare?
We hear from the lead author of a report out of George Mason University that ranks states on their fiscal health. And we talk with a political reporter at the Chicago Tribune about Illinois’ fiscal struggles.
Is there anything we can learn from the Land of Lincoln?
- Keith Phaneuf - State Budget Reporter for the Connecticut Mirror
- Toni Walker - Democratic State Representative serving New Haven, Democratic Co-Chair of the Appropriations Committee
- Themis Klarides - Republican State Representative serving Woodbridge, Orange and Derby, House Republican Leader
- Eileen Norcross - Director for the State and Local Policy Project at the Mercatus Center at George Mason University, Senior Research Fellow, lead author of Ranking the States by Fiscal Condition
- Rick Pearson - Political Reporter at the Chicago Tribune
Chion Wolf contributed to this show.