Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Tom Foley Won't Join Final Primetime Connecticut Gubernatorial Debate
- Watch: Candidates for Connecticut Governor Debate in New London
- An Unusual, Non-Lethal Idea to Deal With Connecticut's Pesky Monk Parakeets
- Gov. Malloy: "You Don't Have to Love Me"
- New Haven Patient Tests Negative in Preliminary Result After Isolation for Ebola-Like Symptoms
The Colin McEnroe Show
Tue September 17, 2013
Joe Manganiello Stars In 'A Streetcar Named Desire'
It just goes on and on. We're in New Haven today where the Yale Rep is getting ready to mount a production of "A Streetcar Named Desire," but there's already one playing in Dublin at the Gate. There probably hasn't been one year in the last 50 when there wasn't a significant staging of this play.
Meanwhile, in New Orleans, there's a yearly competition, in which men scream "Stella" at the top of their voices, rip their t-shirts, and writhe in passion. Prizes include cases of Stella Artois beer and passes for bowling. That's iconic. One tiny scene in the play is a yearly rite.
There are so many peculiar spin-offs, ranging from the musical version folded into an episode of the Simpsons to Vonnegut's classic story, "Who Am I This Time?" A constant is the notion of finding ourselves in the play.
Leave your comments below, email firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet us @wnprcolin.
- Joe Manganiello is playing Stanley Kowalski in the Yale Rep's Staging of "A Streetcar Named Desire."
- René Augesen is playing Blanche DuBois.
- Mark Rucker is the director of "A Streetcar Named Desire."
- James Bundy is the Artistic Director at the Yale Repertory Theater.