Chris Prosperi's Beef Barley Soup
1/2 lb. barley2 quarts water1 lb. diced beef (I used stew meat. It was cut in 1-inch cubes and I quartered it.)1 tablespoon oil2 cups diced onions1 cup diced carrot1 cup diced celery1 teaspoon paprika2 cups red wine1 quart canned beef stock1 quart water1 lb. frozen peas1/4 cup corn starch1/4 cup cold water1 teaspoon black peppersalt to taste if needed1/4 cup chopped parsley For the barley:In a 6-quart sauce pan combine water and barley and cook at a simmer about 1 hour or until soft.
- Heat an eight quart soup pot on high heat.
- Add oil and sear meat for 2 minutes with out stirring. Then gently mix searing for another 3 minutes till meat is cooked.
- Stir in onions and cook for five minutes.
- Then add carrots and celery and cook for another five minutes.
- Stir in one teaspoon paprika and cook for 1 minute.
- Add red wine and reduce until evaporated.
- Pour in stock and water and bring to simmer.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add cooked barley and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix corn starch and cold water in a small bowl with your fingers until smooth.
- After soup simmers for 25 minutes or until vegetables are soft and meat is tender stir in corn starch.
- Slurry until soup slightly thickens.
- Add frozen peas and cook for another 2 minutes or until soup returns to a simmer.
- Check seasonings. You may need to add a little salt at this point depending on the sodium level of the canned beef stock. I used Kitchen Basics and only needed to add a 1/2 teaspoon.
- Stir in black pepper and chopped parsley.
- Serve hot with grated Swiss cheese and a crusty bread.
Makes about 4 quarts. Featured Wine
2008 Covenant Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley ($90)