Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Room Escape: A New Genre of Entertainment Comes to New Haven
- Gov. Malloy Declares State of Emergency, Statewide Travel Ban
- Rising, Young Saxophonist Alexa Tarantino Headlines at Baby Grand Jazz Series
- For Tesla, a Fight in Connecticut to Open Stores and Sell Cars
- In Hartford, Griebel Considers City Council Run
Charter School Probe
Thu July 24, 2014
Federal Investigators Look for State Education Department Emails
As federal investigators continue their probe of a troubled Hartford charter school group, agents are now seeking to obtain all department correspondence, including Commissioner Stefan Pryor's emails that relate to FUSE, Jumoke, Michael Sharpe or Hartford's Milner School.
The Hartford Courant reports the FBI is looking into operations of the Family Urban Schools of Excellence (FUSE) and Jumoke Academy Charter school group.
FUSE's CEO Michael Sharpe resigned recently after revelations surfaced that academic credentials he had claimed in school materials, biographies and legislative testimony were untrue. Sharpe has a criminal record and served two prison terms.
Now it's come out that the former charter school leader, who was living in one of Jumoke's buildings, regularly missed rent payments .
Federal authorities are investigating how millions of dollars in public funding was disbursed to the charter group. Connecticut's State Department of Education was served with a federal grand jury subpoena last week, seeking emails of Commissioner Pryor dating back to 2012.
Where We Live