Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Yale Educator-Artist Keeps Inspiring Future Generations of Theater Designers
- Connecticut’s Changing, Sometimes Volatile, Still Lively Classical Music Scene
- JFK Conspiracy Theories: American As Apple Pie
- Bridgeport Bluefish Ballplayer to Retire After 20-Year Career
- Moist, Crispy Meatloaf Baked in a Brown Paper Bag
Where We Live
Thu June 26, 2014
Should Minor League Rock Cats Relocate to Hartford?
The lure of professional sports teams has often been irresistible to municipal leaders. It’s very easy to imagine a stadium filled with happy fans, spending money and spreading civic pride.
It was with that vision that Hartford Mayor Pedro Segarra announced that his city would be building a new ballpark for the AA New Britain Rock Cats -- luring a team to the vacant wasteland of parking lots in a part of the city known as “Downtown North.”
It seems, though, that the new ballpark -- planned to be built with up to $60 million dollars in borrowed money -- is not a done deal, at least according to city council president Shawn Wooden, who says he wants to “protect taxpayers.”
The plan faces opposition from a number of fronts, including advocates for a downtown supermarket and long-debated mixed-used development in that part of town. And, of course, from New Britain officials who expressed shock at the year-and-a-half, secret negotiations between the ballclub and Hartford.
This hour, the ongoing story of bringing baseball to Hartford, and what it means to both the Capital City and the state.
- Jeff Cohen - WNPR Reporter
- Thomas Deller - Director of the Department of Developmental Services for the City of Hartford
- Shawn Wooden - President of the Hartford city council; is also in the Aug. 12 primary for the Democratic nomination for the 2nd Senate District
- Pedro Segarra - Mayor of Hartford
- Larry Deutsch - Hartford City Council Minority Leader
- Rex Fowler - Executive Director of the Hartford Community Loan Fund
Play Ball, And Politics
Bringing Baseball Downtown
Where To Build
Stadium, Stadium, Stadium