Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Hartford Student, Born in a Nepali Refugee Camp, Prepares for College
- "Peter Pan": a Critique of Pure Snark
- Waterbury Hospital CEO Calls on Gov. Malloy to Help Salvage Tenet Deal
- Hartford Mayoral Possibilities Start to Emerge
- Biological Explanations for Mental Health Symptoms Make Clinicians Less Empathetic
The Colin McEnroe Show
Mon August 13, 2012
What's It Like Being A Gay Farmer?
Today's show is about gay farmers -- and about the possibility that there's a gay farming movement. There's a documentary film about American gay farmers currently in the late stages of editing. And, as you'll learn today, there's a gay farmer reality show.
But is it stretching a point to say there's a movement? A recent article in Grist.org asked our question perfectly: "The LGBT community has a history of organizing collectively and revitalizing urban spaces. Is it possible that queer farmers are invigorating farming with a new vision that is less restrictive, and more creative? From the looks of it, many queer small-scale farmers seem to think so, even as they face the same day-to-day struggles that other farmers do to make food production viable."I can tell you one thing. If there's a gay farming movement, it involves goats at a level that is disproportionate to other farming. I have no idea why. Leave your comments below, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or Tweet us @wnprcolin.