Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Hartford Student, Born in a Nepali Refugee Camp, Prepares for College
- "Peter Pan": a Critique of Pure Snark
- Waterbury Hospital CEO Calls on Gov. Malloy to Help Salvage Tenet Deal
- Hartford Mayoral Possibilities Start to Emerge
- Biological Explanations for Mental Health Symptoms Make Clinicians Less Empathetic
The Colin McEnroe Show
Wed May 1, 2013
The Triumphant Decline Of The American WASP
2012 was not the Mayan apocalypse, but it did pile a little more fuel on the WASP Armageddon.
For the first time in 236 years, there was no White Anglo Saxon Protestant in any of the four ticket spots. Biden and Ryan are Catholics. Romney is, of course, Mormon. President Obama was the only Protestant on the ticket, and he's probably close to 50 percent Anglo-Saxon. But he ain't no WASP. The mileposts keep falling. The U.S. Supreme Court is six Catholics and three Jews.John Bohner and Harry Reid are not WASPs. And at the level of CEOs it's a little harder to track, but right here in Connecticut, the WASPS who ran the big companies and presided informally over Hartford as The Bishops are gone, baby gone. Today we ask, will anybody miss WASPs? Leave your comments below e-mail email@example.com or Tweet us @wnprcolin.