Transgender Rights: "The Civil Rights Issue of Our Time"?
Those who identify as transgender Americans continue to face social stigmas, discrimination, and legal issues not often faced by other members of the LGBT community.
This hour, we talk with some transgender rights experts and advocates about what Vice President Joe Biden has called "the civil rights issue of our time."
We also check in with WNPR reporter Lucy Nalpathanchil, who gives us the latest on the case of transgender teen Jane Doe.
- Lucy Nalpathanchil - Reporter and host for WNPR
- Susan Bigelow - Openly transgender political columnist for CT News Junkie
- Irwin Krieger - Clinical social worker in New Haven, and author of Helping your Transgender Teen: a Guide for Parents
- Karen Nakamura - Associate Professor of Anthropology and East Asian Studies at Yale University; Incoming Chair of LGBT studies at Yale
- Joshua Block - Staff attorney from the ACLU LGBT Project