Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Hartford Student, Born in a Nepali Refugee Camp, Prepares for College
- "Peter Pan": a Critique of Pure Snark
- Waterbury Hospital CEO Calls on Gov. Malloy to Help Salvage Tenet Deal
- Hartford Mayoral Possibilities Start to Emerge
- Biological Explanations for Mental Health Symptoms Make Clinicians Less Empathetic
Wed May 21, 2014
Torrington Students Accused of Vandalizing School
Three Torrington High School students have been charged with painting racist and sexual graffiti on the school in March.
Jacob Wellman and Stephen Lamonte, both 18, and a 17-year-old whose name was not released, face charges including conspiracy, criminal mischief, loitering and breach of peace. Wellman also faces a hate crimes charge.
Police said the graffiti, which included a swastika, a stick figure in a noose, the words "Hail Hitler," and a drawing of a penis, were found on an outside wall of the school's gym.
Attempts to reach the students Wednesday morning were not successful. Reached at home by the Republican-American newspaper, Wellman declined to comment.
Lamonte and Wellman were released on $5,000 bonds and are to appear in court June 2. The school said all three face disciplinary hearings.