Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- In Hartford Eminent Domain Case, Property Owner Wants More Money
- The Ten All-Time Best Christmas Songs (of All Time)
- After Lawsuit Regarding Baseball Stadium, Hartford Changes Course
- What's Driving the Electric Rate Hike in Connecticut?; Herbalife's So-Called "Pyramid Scheme"
- Families of Pearl Harbor Casualties Want the Navy to Send Home Their Remains
The Colin McEnroe Show
Tue January 21, 2014
The Scramble Is on the Scrimmage Line
Through no act of overarching planning, all three of our segments today will deal directly, or otherwise, with sports.
In our first segment, we talk with Linda Holmes from the NPR culture blog, Monkey See. We also delve into the controversy over a recent New York Times column by former executive editor, Bill Keller.
Keller questioned the value of tweets and blogging by a cancer patient named Lisa Bonchek Adams, who writes about her journey through cancer, attracting thousands of followers along the way, many who find comfort in her words. Keller seemed to prefer a more stoic and silent approach to life-threatening disease. We explore the friction between those in traditional publishing and the bloggers and tweeters who chafe at established rules.
We switch gears with Linda to talk about a new ESPN documentary that revisits the sage between U.S. figure skaters Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan, a feud that polarized the nation during the 1994 Winter Olympics in Lillihammer, Norway.
From there we move on to Dave Zirin, an iconoclastic sportswriter for The Nation, who has a way of framing the national reaction to the excitable Seattle Seahawk cornerback, Richard Sherman. We take a deeper look with him.
At the end, a game from your childhood that's still being played by adults. Since we're on football, let's hear it for miniature football , a form of the sport that focuses on amity instead of abuse.
Leave your comments below, email us at email@example.com, or tweet us at wnprcolin.
- Linda Holmes writes and edits NPR's entertainment and pop-culture blog, Monkey See
- Vance Warren is on the Board of Directors for the Miniature Football Coaches Association
- Dave Zurin is the sports editor for The Nation
Where We Live