Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- In Hartford Eminent Domain Case, Property Owner Wants More Money
- The Ten All-Time Best Christmas Songs (of All Time)
- After Lawsuit Regarding Baseball Stadium, Hartford Changes Course
- What's Driving the Electric Rate Hike in Connecticut?; Herbalife's So-Called "Pyramid Scheme"
- Families of Pearl Harbor Casualties Want the Navy to Send Home Their Remains
The Colin McEnroe Show
Mon March 3, 2014
The Scramble: Are A.J. Jacobs, Lupita Nyong'o, and John Rowland Related?
Today on The Scramble, one of our favorite writers, A.J. Jacobs takes us deep inside the world of modern ancestry research where websites are all too happy to tell you that you're distantly related to Gwynyth Paltrow, Michael Bloomberg, Quincy Jones, and King David. Those are all actual examples of people A.J. was told are his relatives.
A.J. also recently road-tested Google Glass, the wearable internet connection that allows you to read Moby Dick or look up answers or watch porn while you're ostensibly doing nothing of the kind.
We also talk to a Hearst newspaper writer who offered up over the weekend an article suggesting that several Connecticut investigations into political corruption are inter-related.
- A.J. Jacobs is an author and a journalist. He’s written four New York Times best sellers including most recently, Drop Dead Healthy: One Man’s Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection. He is also editor-at-large at Esquire magazine, a commentator on NPR, and a columnist for Mental Floss magazine.
- Michael Place was a classmate of Lupita Nyong'o at the Yale School of Drama. They called themselves The Wilsons.
- Neil Vigdor is the statewide political writer for Hearst Connecticut Media, which includes The Connecticut Post, Danbury News-Times, The Stamford Advocate, and Greenwich Time