For some, the journey to higher education can feel more like a dead end -- an opportunity stifled by rising tuition fees and the weight of student loans.
This hour, we find out how. We sit down with officials from each Promise program and we also hear from you.
Are you the parent of a Promise Scholar? Did you receive a Promise scholarship yourself? What was that experience like for you?
Later, we also hear how a new plan from New York Governor Andrew Cuomo could help some residents avoid college debt.
- Patricia Melton - President of New Haven Promise
- Richard Sugarman - President of Hartford Promise
- Fontaine Chambers - New Haven Promise alumnus
- Carmen Matthews - Parent of two students in the New Haven School District
- Angela Levy - Parent of two former Classical Magnet School students
- Jesse McKinley - The New York Times’s Albany bureau chief
Chion Wolf contributed to this show.