Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- In Hartford Eminent Domain Case, Property Owner Wants More Money
- The Ten All-Time Best Christmas Songs (of All Time)
- After Lawsuit Regarding Baseball Stadium, Hartford Changes Course
- What's Driving the Electric Rate Hike in Connecticut?; Herbalife's So-Called "Pyramid Scheme"
- Festive Fusion in Big Band Jazz Concert at Hartford’s Infinity Hall
Fri July 27, 2012
Reporter Roundtable: The Donovan Dilemma
Federal authorities made seven new arrests in their investigation into the campaign of house speaker Chris Donovan
The arrests circle around an alleged scheme to cover up campaign donations that were aimed at using Donovan’s influence as speaker of the house to kill a bill aimed at “roll your own smoke shops.”
Among those new arrests are Josh Nassi, the former campaign manager, smoke shop managers, a former president of a prison worker’s union, and Ray Soucy - another union leader who cooperated with law enforcement. Earlier, the feds had arrested Donovan’s former campaign finance director.
So where does it leave the speaker’s campaign? Who knows, because officials have not signaled the investigation is over. Donovan told reporters again yesterday that he did nothing wrong, and that he couldn’t believe people thought his vote was “for sale.”
Meanwhile - there’s even more drama and intrigue among the rest of the 5th district candidates. We’ll try to pull this story apart with a panel of reporters and with you.