Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Hartford Student, Born in a Nepali Refugee Camp, Prepares for College
- "Peter Pan": a Critique of Pure Snark
- Waterbury Hospital CEO Calls on Gov. Malloy to Help Salvage Tenet Deal
- Hartford Mayoral Possibilities Start to Emerge
- Biological Explanations for Mental Health Symptoms Make Clinicians Less Empathetic
Where We Live
Wed September 4, 2013
Passionate Politics: Syria and Local Elections
President Barack Obama has found some unlikely congressional support for his plan to intervene in the Syrian war. He’s got the backing of Republicans like House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, Senator John McCain, and House Speaker John Boehner.
"This is something that the United States as a country needs to do," said Boehner. "I’m going to support the president’s call for action. I believe my colleagues should support this call for action.
But a few of his major detractors are in Connecticut. At yesterday’s Senate Foreign Relations committee hearing, Senator Chris Murphy rejected the notion that the U.S. would be able to help the situation.
"We wonder whether there is a limit to the ability of American military power to influence the politics on the ground in the Middle East," said Murphy.
Today, it’s our weekly news roundtable The Wheelhouse. We discuss possible U.S. intervention in Syria. And we talk politics on the most local level. There are primaries next week across the state for top municipal jobs.
Our guests include reporters and editors covering the local races that get communities so fired up.
- Colin McEnroe - Host of WNPR's The Colin McEnroe Show
- Matt DeRienzo - Group Editor for the 21st Century Media Company in Connecticut
- Mohamed Elfayoumy - Yale World Fellow and consul/political officer for the Embassy of Egypt in Damascus
- Adib Chouiki - Syrian-American activist and a board member of the Swasia Charity Foundation
- Paul Bass - Editor of the New Haven Independent
- Ray Hackett - Opinion columnist and editor for the Norwich Bulletin
- Peg Scofield - Editor of Killingworth Today