Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Hartford Student, Born in a Nepali Refugee Camp, Prepares for College
- "Peter Pan": a Critique of Pure Snark
- Waterbury Hospital CEO Calls on Gov. Malloy to Help Salvage Tenet Deal
- Hartford Mayoral Possibilities Start to Emerge
- Biological Explanations for Mental Health Symptoms Make Clinicians Less Empathetic
The Colin McEnroe Show
Fri March 29, 2013
The Nose: Troubles With 'Today'
This week two parallels drama unfolded before the eyes of the nation.
One of them was the Supreme Court's seemingly careful dance with the issue of gay marriage in oral arguments. Nobody really knows what the justices are going to do, but it seems unlikely they will issue a broad ruling affirming gay marriage as a right. At the same time, the "Today" show is facing a ratings crisis and a loss of faith in Matt Lauer, the most highly paid television news person in America. Among the solutions "Today" considered involved a call to Anderson Cooper, an openly gay journalist. Eager for the kind of good news that makes the program seem like a happy family, Today showcased the pregnancy of one of its lesser known hosts, who is in a lesbian partnership. Nothing could be more mainstream than morning television. And it seems to have made up its mind about gay life. You can join the conversation. E-mail email@example.com or Tweet us @wnprcolin.