Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Hartford Student, Born in a Nepali Refugee Camp, Prepares for College
- "Peter Pan": a Critique of Pure Snark
- Waterbury Hospital CEO Calls on Gov. Malloy to Help Salvage Tenet Deal
- Hartford Mayoral Possibilities Start to Emerge
- Biological Explanations for Mental Health Symptoms Make Clinicians Less Empathetic
The Colin McEnroe Show
Fri August 3, 2012
The Nose: Transforming Identities And A Debate Over Hair
American identity is pretty fluid. Don't like who you are? Become someone else.
Snoop Dogg used to be Calvin Broadus. Now he's Snoop Lion, a Rastafarian reggae performer. He went from pot-worshipping rapper to pot-worshipping singer. And now he wants to be an American Idol judge and is offering to clean up his act, minutes after joining a religion in which marijuana is sort of a sacrament. Whatever ... Director Larry Wachowski is now Lana Wachowski. One half of the sibling team that gave us The Matrix had sexual reassignment surgery. Nobody seems to care very much. Of course, poor Andy Wachowski will have to go through life as "you know, the one who didn't have a sex change." But then there's Gabby Douglas. She wins a gold medal and there's a big debate about her hair. So maybe we're not as fluid about identity as I like to think we are. Leave your comments below, e-mail email@example.com or Tweet us @wnprcolin. Comedian Steve Hofstetter will appear at Bridge Street Live in Collinsville on Saturday, Aug. 18 at 8 p.m.