Presidents and their vacations are a chronic paradox. The job is way too hard and pressure-laden to do without occasional breaks. The job is also so important, that breaks always seem a little self-indulgent, and they're barely even breaks. The nuclear football is never far from the basketball hoop, and all the other duties of office follow you right onto the sailboat. President Obama taking some heat right now for playing golf while on vacation, right after processing and speaking about the tragic murder of James Foley. This is a little bit about a presidential vacation, and a little bit about this particular president, who frequently stands accused of having a peculiarly icy set of emotional reactions.
Also this week, we learned about a man who faked his own death to avoid his wedding, about a Cinderella breast trend in which women get saline injections that last 24 hours, and about movie theaters in China where patrons can text right up onto the screen.
Here's a few other things we're considering batting around on The Nose:
- Cat Calls: Offensive or complimentary? This woman thinks considers it flattering
- A look back at the life of announcer Don Pardo
- Political secrets at Saturday Night Live
- Don Lemon's conversation with Talib Kweli about Ferguson goes horribly wrong
- The new Taylor Swift single. SRSLY
- Welcome to “toddlercore”: How dressing like a 2-year-old became the fashion world’s latest craze
- CNN Ferguson panel devolves into chaos: “Why do you have to insult me all the time?”
What do you think? Comment below, email Colin@wnpr.org, or tweet @wnprcolin.
- Jim Chapdelaine is a musician, producer, composer, and recording engineer
- Theresa Cramer is a writer and the editor of E-Content Magazine, where she covers the world of digital media
- James Hanley is the co-founder of Cinestudio at Trinity College