Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Hartford Student, Born in a Nepali Refugee Camp, Prepares for College
- "Peter Pan": a Critique of Pure Snark
- Waterbury Hospital CEO Calls on Gov. Malloy to Help Salvage Tenet Deal
- Hartford Mayoral Possibilities Start to Emerge
- Biological Explanations for Mental Health Symptoms Make Clinicians Less Empathetic
The Colin McEnroe Show
Tue August 20, 2013
New Haven's Mayoral Race, Patch Layoffs, & Hundreds Of New Internet Domain Names
Today's show is three segments which are interlinked, even though we didn't exactly plan it that way. We'll begin by looking at the highly competitive four-way race in New Haven's mayoral primary, scheduled for Sept. 10. But we'll look at it with the assistance of the New Haven Independent, one of the nation's most successful nonprofit local news sites.
From there, we'll jump to the agonies of a different type of local news site, Patch.com, now enduring widespread layoffs as its parent company AOL tries to get back in the black. And finally, if there's something wrong with the Patch.com model, could it be addressed through a new primary domain name? Dot local instead of dot com? We'll talk about the land rush for domain names like .home, .love, .golf and.bible. You can join the conversation. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet us @wnprcolin.