Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- In Hartford Eminent Domain Case, Property Owner Wants More Money
- The Ten All-Time Best Christmas Songs (of All Time)
- After Lawsuit Regarding Baseball Stadium, Hartford Changes Course
- What's Driving the Electric Rate Hike in Connecticut?; Herbalife's So-Called "Pyramid Scheme"
- Festive Fusion in Big Band Jazz Concert at Hartford’s Infinity Hall
The Colin McEnroe Show
Mon April 1, 2013
The Future of Stem Cells
Stem cells are the Wild West of biomedicine.
The commercially run SpaceX Dragon capsule just delivered mouse stem cells to the International Space Station, part of an experiment to see how long periods in space affect living organisms.
In Scotland, researchers are attempting to make blobs of stem cells in a three-d printer.
And in Italy, terminally ill patients are being given an untested, unproven and theoretically risky stem cell treatment over the protests of scientists.
Here in Connecticut, things are a little tamer, but we were fairly early out of the gate with a state stem cell program. Most of what goes on here is pure research, but there are therapies under development that would treat macular degeneration and osteoarthritis.
On the even of the state's annual StemConn conference and tradeshow, let's meet some of the players.
Leave your comments below, email us firstname.lastname@example.org, or tweet us @wnprcolin.