Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- In Hartford Eminent Domain Case, Property Owner Wants More Money
- The Ten All-Time Best Christmas Songs (of All Time)
- After Lawsuit Regarding Baseball Stadium, Hartford Changes Course
- What's Driving the Electric Rate Hike in Connecticut?; Herbalife's So-Called "Pyramid Scheme"
- Families of Pearl Harbor Casualties Want the Navy to Send Home Their Remains
Fresh Air Weekend
Sat July 26, 2014
Fresh Air Weekend: 'Trans Bodies, Trans Selves,' 'Hard Day's Night,' Arthur Allen
Originally published on Mon July 28, 2014 10:18 am
Fresh Air Weekend highlights some of the best interviews and reviews from past weeks, and new program elements specially paced for weekends. Our weekend show emphasizes interviews with writers, filmmakers, actors, and musicians, and often includes excerpts from live in-studio concerts. This week:
'Trans Bodies, Trans Selves': A Modern Manual By And For Trans People: Modeled after the groundbreaking feminist health manual Our Bodies, Ourselves, the book details the social, political and medical issues faced by transgender people.
'A Hard Day's Night': A Pop Artifact That Still Crackles With Energy: To celebrate the 50th anniversary of A Hard Day's Night, a spectacular restoration is in theaters and on DVD. The black-and-white photography of the Beatles is gorgeous, and the movie isn't half bad.
How Scientists Created A Typhus Vaccine In A 'Fantastic Laboratory': Arthur Allen's new book The Fantastic Laboratory of Dr. Weigl describes how a WWII scientist in Poland smuggled the typhus vaccine to Jews — while his team made a weakened version for the Nazis.
You can listen to the original interviews here: