Food Schmooze: Pork Chop Heaven
From Faith Middleton: Pork Chop Flat Bread Pizza. Parmesan-Crusted Pork Chops. Slow-Cooker Pork Chop Chili. If you are a pork chop-lover, as I am, you will love Ray “Dr. BBQ” Lampe's cookbook, Pork Chop: 60 Recipes for Living High on the Hog.
Dr. BBQ has been cooking professionally for 20 years, and he's not a stickler for only using the outdoor grill; in fact, most of his recipes call for broiling or a stove-top pan. Best of all, if you're watching your calorie intake, there are some terrific spice rub recipes.
I could select a recipe that is more calorie-conscious but I can't resist this phenomenal sandwich, combining Buffalo Wing Sauce and crumbled blue cheese…
½ cup crumbled blue cheese
½ cup finely chopped celery
¼ cup mayonnaise (I prefer Hellman's)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1/2½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon paprika
4 boneless pork chops, about 1/2 inch thick
¼ cup butter, melted
½ cup Frank's Hot Sauce
4 large round buns
- Preheat the broiler on high. In a medium bowl, combine the blue cheese, celery and mayo. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. On a flat plate, mix together the flour, salt, pepper, and paprika. Dredge the chops in the flour mixture, coating well on all sides. Shake off any excess flour. (Place the chops in the skillet and cook for about 4 minutes, until golden brown. Flip the chops and cook another 4 minutes until golden.) Transfer the chops to a plate lined with paper towels, to drain.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the butter and hot sauce. Microwave on high for 15 seconds to warm.
- Toast the buns on the cut sides under the broiler until golden. Dunk each chop in the hot sauce mixture, shaking off any excess. Place the chop on a bun bottom. Top with one-fourth of the blue cheese mixture and the top of the bun. Serve.
This is pork chop heaven.
Recipe from Pork Chop: 60 Recipes for Living High On the Hog by Ray "DR. BBQ" Lampe, published by Chronicle Books, 2013
- Ray “DR. BBQ” Lampe is the author of Pork Chop: 60 Recipes for Living High on the Hog.