The transition from high school to college is tough for anyone. But if you’re the first in your family to go to school, you’re a trailblazer and have a whole other set of challenges. From knowledge of the college application process, to financial aid, to campus life, there are more hurdles to get past when you’re the first to go through it.
On this episode of Where We Live we’re joined by a panel of first-generation college students, both past and present to share their stories. Are you a first-generation college student? We want to hear your story!
This episode originally aired on October 15, 2013.
- Truth Hunter - Graduate student in UConn's Higher Education and Student Affairs program
- Tommy Lee - Senior at UConn studying biology and psychology with a minor in neuroscience
- Miguel Colon - Program Coordinator in Community Outreach at UConn, and previously a first-generation college student at Connecticut College
- Matt Rubinoff - Executive Director at Center for Student Opportunity and the I'm First project
- I'm First - Online community for first-generation college students
- "First Generation" - Documentary film