Billionaire Betsy DeVos is the new Secretary for the US Department of Education.
This hour, how will she impact public school education nationwide including here in Connecticut? We hear from educators within traditional public and charter schools — and we want to hear from you, too.
Plus, a new investigation by Connecticut’s Child Advocate finds that Hartford Public Schools has failed to adequately respond to allegations of suspected abuse against school staff. We talk with Child Advocate Sarah Eagan and hear from Hartford’s Acting Superintendent of Schools.
Besides Hartford, how do other school districts in the state respond to allegations of abuse?
- Sarah Darville - National Editor at Chalkbeat
- Patti Fusco - 5th and 6th grade teacher in the gifted and talented program at Carrigan Intermediate School in West Haven, American Federation of Teachers Legislative Committee Chair in West Haven, AFT Connecticut Divisional Vice President for PreK-12 teachers
- Ronelle Swagerty - CEO of New Beginnings Family Academy, a public charter school in Bridgeport
- Don Williams - Director of Policy and Research at Connecticut Education Association
- Sarah Eagan - Child Advocate for the State of Connecticut
- Dr. Leslie Torres-Rodriguez - Acting Superintendent of Hartford Public Schools
Chion Wolf contributed to this show.