Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Hartford Student, Born in a Nepali Refugee Camp, Prepares for College
- "Peter Pan": a Critique of Pure Snark
- Waterbury Hospital CEO Calls on Gov. Malloy to Help Salvage Tenet Deal
- Hartford Mayoral Possibilities Start to Emerge
- Biological Explanations for Mental Health Symptoms Make Clinicians Less Empathetic
The Faith Middleton Show
Mon September 30, 2013
Disturbing the Comfortable
by Faith Middleton
Disturbia, as I call it, is the land where something or someone messes with your comfort zone. What people and things have disturbed your sense of comfort? Arguably, the Republican Tea Party's extreme wing is working hard and fast to make us understand Obamacare as a disruption of a way of life. This is genius as strategy since Obamacare is aimed squarely at those who have no health insurance and want to be made comfortable.
What else has disturbed the comfortable? A short list to get you thinking.
- Books and authors banned.
- The Freedom Riders.
- The new Pope. Yes, the new Pope.
- Being rich, then unexpectedly poor.
- A medical diagnosis.
- Gay marriage.
- Growing old.
- Being Born.
- Hayward Gatling - artist/curator of Disturbing the Comfortable
- Bruce Clements - longtime contributor and author