Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Hartford Student, Born in a Nepali Refugee Camp, Prepares for College
- "Peter Pan": a Critique of Pure Snark
- Waterbury Hospital CEO Calls on Gov. Malloy to Help Salvage Tenet Deal
- Hartford Mayoral Possibilities Start to Emerge
- Biological Explanations for Mental Health Symptoms Make Clinicians Less Empathetic
The Colin McEnroe Show
Thu September 19, 2013
A Crash Course On How Infinity Works
On today's show mathematician Steven Strogatz (@stevenstrogatz), author of The Joy of X: A Guided Tour of Math, From One to Infinity, took us on a voyage through never-ending sequences from Greek philosophy to modern day power sets. We explain how infinity can be bigger than infinity (your brain will hurt) and then turn our eyes to the heavens with astrophysicist Ron Mallett.
Mallett took some time away from working on his time machine (I'm serious about this) to help us understand how infinity plays out in the cosmos - from the frontiers of space to the centers of supermassive black holes.