Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Transgender Teen Sent to Connecticut Adult Prison
- New Haven Cardboard Furniture Company Goes Beyond One-Man Production
- DCF Commissioner Defends Transfer of Transgender Juvenile to York Prison
- Connecticut's Growing Role in Mushroom Cultivation
- The Nose Replaces Colbert, Marries Jesus, and Has No Love For the Gov
Fri September 20, 2013
Connecticut's Unemployment Rate is Unchanged
The state labor department says Connecticut's unemployment rate remained unchanged at 8.1 percent in August. Local government job cuts, particularly in schools shut for the summer, far surpassed private sector job gains.
Numbers released Wednesday show non-farm employment overall declined by 6,000 in August. Local government jobs fell by 7,500, and the private sector added 2,300 jobs. The Associated Press reports that labor officials say the pace of job growth this year is accelerating, with an average of nearly 1,800 jobs created a month.