Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Room Escape: A New Genre of Entertainment Comes to New Haven
- Gov. Malloy Declares State of Emergency, Statewide Travel Ban
- Rising, Young Saxophonist Alexa Tarantino Headlines at Baby Grand Jazz Series
- For Tesla, a Fight in Connecticut to Open Stores and Sell Cars
- In Hartford, Griebel Considers City Council Run
Where We Live
Mon March 24, 2014
Checking In With Senate President Don Williams and House Speaker Brendan Sharkey
Today, conversations with Connecticut’s top two lawmakers - Senate President Don Williams and House Speaker Brendan Sharkey - about two big issues: Freedom of Information and taxes.
Williams has announced his retirement after 20 years in the legislature after this session ends. We talk about his tenure, which included the aftermath of the scandal that sent Governor John Rowland to jail. And about his testimony over proposed legislation that would limit access to public records.
Meanwhile, his House counterpart, Sharkey, is just getting started with his career as Speaker of the House. Among his goals - big tax reform in the state, including a new conversation with the state’s non-profits about taxes.
- Donald Williams - Senate President
- Brendan Sharkey - Speaker of the House